Matteson Public Library Home
Section 10.1: Meeting Room Policy
The Matteson Public Library provides a meeting room as a limited forum to support its educational, informational, and recreational mission. The Library will comply with all state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination in making its meeting room available and will not deny usage based on the viewpoints expressed by users. Use of the meeting room does not constitute sponsorship or endorsement of the users or the users’ beliefs by the Matteson Public Library or the Board of Library Trustees.
Priority for reserving the use of the meeting rooms is given in the following order:
1. Library sponsored activities and programs
2. Friends of the Library-sponsored meetings or programs
3. Official agencies and boards of governments serving the Village of Matteson
4. Non-profit community organizations, which can demonstrate non-profit status in the State of Illinois, that wish to hold meetings or programs where no admission fee is charged. Organizations must be located in Matteson. Non-profit organizations are those engaged in intellectual, charitable, civic, cultural, educational and/or recreational activities.
5. Businesses located in Matteson for non-commercial use.
In order to use the meeting room, a representative of the group must take the responsibility for the group’s use of the room by signing a Reservation and Use Agreement for each meeting room use. This person must be a Matteson Library cardholder in good standing, age eighteen years or older. Official government agencies and boards are exempt from the cardholder requirement. All users are responsible for complying with applicable American with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements when using the room. Therefore, users are required to add a notice to their publicity for an event asking for any person who plans on attending and who needs ADA-type assistance to call the sponsoring organization to request accommodation.
The meeting room may not be used for gatherings of a purely social nature. All meetings must be open to the public. Non-library sponsored groups may not charge admission nor solicit or require donations for attendance at the meetings, nor can they collect dues on premises. No product or services may be solicited or sold.
Activities at a meeting should not materially or substantially interfere with the proper functions of the library. Applicant and his/her organization are responsible for conducting orderly programs and for ensuring that the attendees will not interfere with regular library services or endanger Library employees, patrons, or property. Failure to comply will result in termination of the meeting and rejection of future applications for use of the meeting room.
The Board of Library Trustees reserves the right to amend this policy at any time. The library reserves the right to revise any scheduled meeting arrangements and to preempt established reservations on reasonable notice. The library may also deny access to the meeting room to groups that have failed to follow the rules and regulations for the room’s use. The Library may waive portions of this policy to accommodate library sponsored meetings and programs.
Section 10.2: Meeting Room Policy Rules and Regulations
10.2:1 Application for Use
A. The representative who signed the Reservation and Use Agreement must be present at the library before staff will open the meeting room to the group, and he/she must be present throughout the scheduled meeting. It is the responsibility of the person signing the application to ensure compliance with the code restrictions relating to the meeting room occupancy limits and with fire and safety regulations. The person signing the form shall be responsible for the willful or accidental damage of the library building, grounds or equipment and shall be responsible for the prompt reimbursement to the library for any damage to the library building, grounds or equipment.
B. The person signing the application and any group or persons using the meeting rooms must indemnify and hold harmless the Board of Library Trustees of the Village of Matteson, its officers, agents, employees and volunteers for damages, causes of action, judgments, settlements, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, arising from physical injury to persons including death, and or loss or damage to property related to the use of the Library’s meeting room, building, parking lot or facilities by the group or persons.
C. Application must be made on the approved form and by a qualified officer or representative of the group, eighteen years or older. Applicants must provide a contact name and phone number that the library can give out to the public for referrals.
E. The meeting room must be reserved at least two (2) weeks in advance. The meeting room may be reserved no more than three months in advance. In the case of groups scheduling monthly meetings, applicants are limited to filling out meeting room applications four times per year. A group may make a maximum of twelve (12) meeting room reservations per year.
F. The Library Director or her/his designee will have complete administrative responsibility for approval of applications and scheduling programs.
G. Reservations are not final until confirmed in writing by the Library Director or his/her designee. All fees must be received no later than two weeks before the date of the program or meeting.
H. Authorization to use the meeting room is not transferable to another organization or individual not listed on the original application.
I. The use of the meeting room shall be scheduled in order by priority and then by date on the application.
J. The library reserves the right to request any group to change its approved schedule to another date. Notice will be given to the person signing the application.
K. Library staff will not be available to make room arrangement changes or to provide support service such as carrying equipment or materials into or around the library, operating audio-visual equipment, making photocopies or handling attendee registration for a scheduled meeting.
L. Groups should notify the library of a cancellation as soon a possible, but no less than 24 hours in advance. Repeated cancellations or unused reservations (2 or more within a 12 month period) will result in denial of future meeting room use.
M. In the event of an emergency closing of the library, all reservations are automatically cancelled and any fees will be refunded. Library staff will attempt to inform the contact person of the closing.
N. Users who have been denied permission to use the meeting room may appeal such denial to the Board of Trustees at the Board’s next regularly scheduled meeting. Written notice of that appeal and all written documentation supporting that appeal must be delivered to the library at least seven (7) business days before the Board meeting.
10.2:2 Prohibited Uses and Activities
The meeting room will not be available to any groups for the following:
1. Commercial ventures for which admission is charged, or at which a collection is taken, sales made, or funds raised.
2. Private and social functions designed for entertainment through companionship with friends and associates.
3. Employee recruitment
4. Instructors conducting classes of any size for profit, and groups promoting future courses or services entailing fees.
5. Benefits for private individuals are not allowed.
6. Storage space for equipment or supplies for groups using the meeting room is not available.
7. Smoking, gambling, alcoholic beverages and/or illegal drugs are not permitted.
8. No flames of any kind are permitted, including lit candles, and sterno cooking fuel.
9. Nothing can be attached/applied to the walls without express written permission given by the Library’s Director.
10. In case of serious disturbance the police will be called.
10.2:3 Meeting Room Fees
1. Government entities and non-profit Matteson community groups may use the meeting room free of charge.
2. Businesses will be charged a fee of $50 per day or portion thereof for meeting room use. Businesses may use the room only for non-commercial meetings. The person signing the application is responsible for payment.
3. The Library Director or her/his designee must be notified if a meeting is cancelled. Meetings cancelled at least seven (7) working days before the meeting will receive a full refund. No refund will be given for cancelled meetings with less than seven (7) working days notice.
4. Business groups will be charged $25 for the use of any audiovisual equipment, subject to availability.
5. The applicant and the organization he/she represents agree to pay for any special maintenance security or damages to the meeting room or library property resulting from meeting room use.
6. Checks or money orders (no cash) should be made payable to: Matteson Public Library.
Section 10.3 General Rules for Use of Meeting Rooms
A. Equipment available includes projection screen, white board, podium, tables and chairs, Internet Hook-up, TV with VHS & DVD, and overhead projector. Equipment must be requested on the application and will be supplied subject to availability.
B. Library staff will not be available to make room arrangement changes or to provide support services such as carrying equipment or materials into or around the library.
C. The Library is not responsible for equipment, supplies, materials, or personal possessions owned by those sponsoring or attending a meeting or activity
D. If children are present, they must be under adequate and proper adult supervision at all times. No less than one (1) adult must be present for each ten (10) children in attendance.
E. Groups may not use the Library’s address or phone number as the organization’s contact point.
F. All meetings are open to the public. Library personnel must have free access to the meeting room at all times. The library retains the right to monitor all meetings conducted on the premises to ensure compliance with library regulations.
Only non-alcoholic beverages and cold foods, such as light snacks or box lunches may be served in the meeting room. Punches should be citrus based, not red. Hotplates, sterna cooking fuel, and other products that are used to heat food are prohibited. All supplies must be provided by the organization.
The meeting room must be returned to its original condition at the end of the meeting. A fee commensurate with the work required, but not less than $25 will be charged if the room is not left in its original condition. The organization will be barred from further use of the room and the contact person’s library card will be blocked until any such fees are paid.
Failure to comply with the above regulations will result in loss of meeting room privileges.
Matteson Public Library
801 S. School Avenue, Matteson, IL 60443
Phone (708) 748-4431 Administrative Fax: (708)748-0579